Should I Order a Downloadable or Boxed Kit?
Many of the Mystery Party Kits on this site are available in both downloadable and boxed versions.
A Downloadable Mystery Party Kit requires that you download a kit from the vendor and save it to your computer. You can then print out all the pieces of the kit (instructions, invitations, menu, etc.) on your own printer.
The advantages of a downloadable version are:
- You have immediate access to the contents of the kit, and can begin planning your party without waiting for a boxed kit to be shipped to you.
- You don't have to pay for shipping.
- A downloadable version is usually less expensive than a boxed version.
- You can often customize parts of the game (invitations, for example), before printing.
- You can use the kit more than once, by simple printing it again.
The disadvantages of a downloadable version are:
- You have to print all of the materials yourself. If you have a large party and a slow printer, this may be a problem.
- The materials you print may been to be folded, cut, or stapled.
- If you only have access to a monochrome printer, everythign will be printed in black-and-white.
A Boxed Mystery Party Kit comes complete with everything you need to organize and run the party. All you need to do is read the instructions, address the invitations, and plan your dinner.
The advantages of a boxed version are:
- The kit comes complete, with everything you need.
- Materials are professionally printed, often full-color and on high-quality paper or card stock, and are pre-folded or stapled as required.
- You don't need to have a computer.
- You don't have to print anything.
The disadvantages of a boxed version are:
- You'll need to wait while the package is shipped to you.
- You'll usually need to pay for shipping.
- A boxed version is often more expensive than a downloadable version.
- Invitations will need to be hand-written.
- Some parts of the kit (e.g. invitations) can only be used once.