Emerald City Confidential is an intriguing new point-and-click adventure game set in the magical world of Oz.
Yes, that Oz. L. Frank Baum‘s classic book, and the subsequent Wizard of Oz movie, serve as the basis for Emerald City Confidential, but the game is based on a re-imagining of Oz, put through the gritty filter of 1940s film noir. Harsh city streets, grey rainy skies, femmes fatales, tough guys, trenchcoats, fedoras and plot twists. It’s Oz, seen through the eyes of Raymond Chandler.
In the game, you play Petra, Emerald City’s only private detective. One dark night, Petra is approached by a strange woman named Dee Gale. It appears Dee’s fiancé is missing, and Dee is willing to pay high and above the going rate in order to find him. Lacking any other prospects, Petra agrees. What starts off as a simple missing person case soon takes Petra deep into the seedy underbelly of the Emerald City’s criminal underground and beyond. She will encounter many characters both familiar and new, learn several magic spells, and uncover the answer to a dark secret that has haunted Petra all her life.
Here’s a quick video intro to the game:
Emerald City Confidential was developed by the team at Wadjet Eye Games, which also developed such popular titles as Blackwell Unbound and The Blackwell Legacy. The game has thus far been well-received by both gamers and critics. Here are a few review excerpts:
- Adventure Gamers:
- Great story with a few neat twists; dozens of interesting characters; quality voice acting; endearing art design; jam-packed with obscure references for Oz fanatics. If ultra-challenging puzzles are your thing, you might be disappointed, but if you’re all about the story and characters, you should book a trip on the next available cyclone to beautiful (and dangerous) Emerald City.
- Beautiful, intriguing, well-thought-out, and put together so perfectly you’d swear it fell off the awesome tree, Emerald City Confidential is a stunning adventure game anyone — even non-adventure fans — can really get into.
- Emerald City Confidential is aimed at fans of the L. Frank Baum “Oz” novels, the “Wizard of Oz” movie, “The Wiz” and “Wicked.” It also has a lot to offer adventure gamers who appreciate stylish graphics and dashing dialog, and casual gamers who would like a first experience in the world of adventure games.
- Emerald City Confidential is a polished, creative and clever must-have for adventure game fans. Beautiful graphics and animations. Polished voice acting and music. Clever puzzles. Excellent writing. Rich backstory. Creative spin on Oz mythology.
- The Escapist:
- Emerald City Confidential is nothing short of brilliant, and will be making my Favorite Games of the Year list. Don’t miss this gem of a game.
Download a free trial of Emerald City Confidential, give it a try, and see for yourself!